Barclays Premier League Big Boys 7 Basement Boys 0: Spurs, Home At Last, Celebrate With A Win – Match Highlights. Comments. Player Ratings. Stats and League Table Update.
By: Marc Gingell
Barclays Premier League Wednesday Results
|ATT: 38,593||Olivier Giroud 38′|
|REF: G Scott||Eden Hazard 60′|
|Ruben Loftus-Cheek 63|
|3/4/2019||KO:19:45||Etihad Stadium||Man. City||2-0||Cardiff|
|ATT: 53,559||Kevin De Bruyne 6′|
|REF: J Moss||Leroy Sané 44′|
|3/4/2019||KO:19:45||Tottenham Hotspur Stadium||Tottenham||2-0||Crystal Palace|
|ATT: 59,215||Heung-Min Son 55′|
|REF: A Marriner||Christian Eriksen 80′|
Chelsea Outscore Rivals!
With three Premier League heavyweights at home not many people, except for me in the Tottenham game, would have backed against them! The only real shock is that Chelsea, with Callum Hudson-Odoi making the starting line up for the first time, outscored their rivals. Man of the match Hudson-Odoi created two of the three goals.
Chelsea: Arrizabalaga (6), Azpilicueta (7), Christensen (7), Luiz (6), Emerson (6), Jorginho (6), Kante (7), Loftus-Cheek (8), Hudson-Odoi (8), Giroud (8), Hazard (8)
Subs: Zappacosta (6), Willian (6), Kovacic (6).
Brighton: Ryan (7), Bruno (6), Duffy (6), Dunk (6), Bong (5), Stephens (6), Bissouma (6), Propper (6), March (6), Jahanbakhsh (7), Andone (7)
Subs: Knockaert (6), Murray (6), Bernardo (6).
Man of the match: Callum Hudson-Odoi
- Chelsea have won all eight of their league meetings with Brighton, the joint-best 100% win rate against an opponent in English league history (also 8/8 for Wimbledon v Bournemouth).
- Brighton have lost all 10 of their Premier League away games against ‘big-six’ sides, scoring just two goals in those matches.
- Callum Hudson-Odoi is the youngest player to provide an assist on his first Premier League start for Chelsea (18y 146d).
- Olivier Giroud has been directly involved in eight goals in his last five starts for Chelsea in all competition, scoring six and assisting two.
- Eden Hazard has been directly involved in 16 of Chelsea’s 32 Premier League goals at Stamford Bridge this season (9 goals, 7 assists), over twice that of any other player at the club.
- Chelsea’s Eden Hazard has been directly involved in six goals in his last three Premier League appearances against Brighton, scoring four and assisting two.
- Chelsea’s Ruben Loftus-Cheek has both scored and assisted in a game for the first time ever in any competition
City Continue To Purr!
Man of the match Kevin De Bruyne admitted to Neil Warnock that his goal after five minutes had a touch of luck about it. He didn’t mean it. But City were never in trouble and, just like their Fulham game, by half-time they were winning 2-0 and in cruise control.
Man City: Ederson (7), Danilo (7), Stones (7), Laporte (7), Zinchenko (6), Fernandinho (7), Foden (7), De Bruyne (8), Mahrez (7), Sane (8), Jesus (7).
Subs: Walker (7).
Cardiff: Etheridge (7), Peltier (5), Morrison (6), Manga (6), Bennett (6), Gunnarsson (6), Ralls (6), Camarasa (6), Murphy (6), Hoilett (6), Niasse (6).
Subs: Cordova-Reid (n/a), Bacuna (n/a), Mendez-Laing (5).
Man of the Match: Kevin De Bruyne.
- Manchester City have won 23 of their 25 home matches across all competitions in 2018-19 (L2), including 16 of 17 in the Premier League (L1).
- Only Chelsea in 2004-05 (31 games) and Manchester City themselves last season (30 games) have reached 80 points (assuming three pts for a win) in fewer games in English top-flight history than the Citizens have this season (32 games).
- Cardiff remain the only side in Premier League history to have never won a midweek match (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) in the competition (P11 W0 D3 L8). They have scored just two goals in their 11 such fixtures.
- Cardiff boss Neil Warnock has lost all eight of his managerial league matches against the reigning top-flight champions, including six in the Premier League; only Paul Jewell (8) and Paul Lambert (7) have a poorer 100% loss rate against reigning champions in the competition.
- With an average age of 25 years and 139 days, Manchester City’s starting XI against Cardiff was their youngest in a Premier League match since April 2011 against Sunderland (24y 341d).
Heung-Min Son – First Premier League Goal At Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
Heung-Min Son, back in the Spurs team from the start after coming off the bench in the previous two games, scored after 55 minutes to calm the home fans nerves and ramp-up the homecoming party. Christian Eriksen scored the second on 80 minutes, the party moved up a few levels, and Spurs were on their way to winning their first game in six.
Tottenham: Lloris (7), Trippier (7), Rose (7), Alderweireld (7), Vertonghen (7), Davies (7), Sissoko (7), Alli (7), Eriksen (7), Son (8), Kane (7)
Subs: Winks (7), Moura (N/A), Wanyama (N/A)
Crystal Palace: Guaita (7), Van Aanholt (6), Tomkins (6), Schlupp (6), Kelly (5), Wan-Bissaka (6), Milivojevic (6), Kouyate (6), McArthur (6), Zaha (6), Batshuayi (5)
Subs: Benteke (5), Townsend (N/A)
Man of the match: Heung-Min Son
- Tottenham have won their last eight Premier League meetings against Crystal Palace, the most successive wins they’ve had against side in the competition.
- Away from Wembley, Tottenham are unbeaten in their last 15 home London derbies in the Premier League (W11 D4), winning each of the last five at White Hart Lane and Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
the start of last season (W1 D1 L6), losing each of the last three.
- Son has now scored 12 Premier League goals this season; only in 2016-17 (14) has he ever scored more in a single season in his top-flight league career.
- Eriksen has both scored and assisted in nine Premier League games for Tottenham; more than any other midfielder for the club in the competition.
- Eriksen has now assisted 59 goals in his 200 Premier League games; only Cesc Fàbregas (66), David Beckham (62), Thierry Henry (61) and Dennis Bergkamp (60) provided more in their first 200 appearances in the competition
|11||West Ham United||32||12||6||14||41||48||-7||42|
|15||Brighton and Hove Albion||31||9||6||16||32||46||-14||33|